The MTELP is a retired component of the Michigan English Proficiency Battery, which was used to assess the English language proficiency of nonnative speakers of English who wish to pursue academic work at colleges or universities where English is the medium of instruction.
- This test may be appropriate for advanced secondary school students, but norms available on the MTELP pertain only to adult nonnative speakers of English interested in college or university study
- The test is inappropriate for those with elementary to low-intermediate knowledge of English and for those without a high school education
- 100-item multiple-choice exam
- Time: 75 minutes
- 3 Forms available: P, Q, R
- Scoring is by punched stencil (purchasers may use their own scannable answer sheets)
The exam questions on the MTELP test the following:
- grammar items in a conversational format
- vocabulary items requiring selection of a synonym or completion of a sentence
- reading passages followed by comprehension questions
Raw scores can be converted to adjusted scores by using equation tables found in the MTELP Examiner’s Manual.
View ordering information